Apple Devices Work Together Seamlessly
Did you know that you can directly copy & paste from your Mac to your iPhone? Or start a project on your iPhone and finish it easily on your Mac? These are just two of the technologies, formally known as Universal Clipboard and Handoff, available in the Continuity functionality found in newer versions of macOS and iOS. These features are just downright cool and allow your nearby devices to work together seamlessly.
Setting up your systems to make use of this functionality is easy by ensuring these requirements:
- iPhones and iPads must be running iOS 10 or later and Macs must be running macOS Sierra or later
- Each device is signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID
- Each device has Bluetooth and WiFi turned on
- Each device has Handoff turned on:
- On Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click General. Select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
- On iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Handoff, then turn on Handoff.
Using Universal Clipboard
Copy content such as text, images, photos, and videos from one Apple device and then paste that content to another nearby Apple device.
- On one device, copy the text, image, or other content as you normally would.
- The content is automatically added to the clipboard of your other nearby device. It remains there briefly, or until you replace it by copying something else on either device.
- On the other device, paste the content as you normally would.
With Handoff, you can start work on one device, then switch to another nearby device and pick up where you left off.
- On one of your devices, open an app that works with Handoff, such as Mail, Maps, Safari, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and numerous third-party apps.
- Use the app to start a task, such as writing an email or document.
- If switching to your Mac, click the app's icon in the Dock:
If switching to your iPhone or iPad:
- Unlock your device.
- Double-tap the home button to bring up the multitasking screen, as you would when switching between apps.
- Tap the app banner at the bottom of the screen.
Enjoy the connection!
Credit: Photos found on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681 are used in this blog post.